Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Holidays....

Christmas is only a few days away, and then it's New Years! Of course, let's not forget Chanukah, Kwanzaa, and who knows what else. It's like the Holiday Olympics this time of year and I just hope everyone is enjoying themselves a little more, and experiencing a little less of the stress from it all.
I'm doing alright myself (thanks for asking), and thought that it would be a good time to share with you a little drawing I made recently on a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. I haven't been there in years, and I forgot what an amazing place it is... and I didn't even get to the second floor! I spent the entire afternoon gawking at the ginormous Christmas tree they have set up. There were hundreds of angels covering the tree and all around it (what looked to me like) Victorian figurines of various shepherds, kings, commoners, more angels and what-nots everywhere. It was a bit of a cluster-fcuk actually, but in a beautiful way. You could pick a different spot and view an entirely different scene. In the dead center there was the classic "Birth of Jesus" creche scene, and I tried sketching that, but there was just way too much going on that all I could manage to do was capture the layout and positioning of the characters. The highlight of it for me was the donkey and a cow peeking around a corner thru the brush at the baby. Awwww... I would have also put a couple of kittens in the scene, but that's just me.
Here are some pics of the (what they are calling "Neapolitan Baroque") tree that I stole from various online sources. Funny how there are all these pictures when there's a huge "NO NOT TAKE PHOTOS" sign in front of your face. Hmmmm...






























Anyways, there was also this lovely statue not far from the tree of "The Holy Family" and I sketched that, too. I was able to get pretty close, and got lots of good detail. I figured it made a nice Christmas card, too... so I scanned it in and digitally added a watercolor background to give it a more "umph". Here is the final product:

No comments: