Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Clash with my TItans

OK... I have to post about this cuz it makes me mad.

I heard the Clash of the Titans was being re-made... but haven't seen anything (or heard too much about it) until just now. I just saw the poster campaign and teaser trailer online... and I'm NOT happy. WTF happened? It's all super dark and serious... hard edged and raw. I know we're in a recession/ depression, fighting a war, everything sucks, (blah, blah, blah) but does it have to seep into one of my most beloved fantasy films of all time?

ex #1: Why is pegasus BLACK? Is it just to be different, or perhaps better match the bleak movie poster campaign (see #3 below)? Well, fine. The myth says Pegasus was born from Medusa's blood, so maybe Pegasus should be deep red, or a dark, ruddy brown and not that lovely white stallion we all know. I'll accept the color change, but why not make it glistening and beautiful? After all, it's a known fact now that even vampires sparkle in the sunlight.

ex #2: Why do the Stygian Witches look like something from Hellboy/ Pans Labyrinth/ Alien? Here is a picture of what I'm talking about (left).

If you're going to make a crazy monster, then make it unique and amazing. Why bother if it just reminds you of another movie. ....zzzzzzzz

ex #3: Myths are supposed to be a source of wonder and inspiration. The movie teaser and posters just make me think of kicking someone's ass while the world around me is at an end. Everything is bleak and dark, and gigantic monsters are just waiting to crush everything in sight. That just makes me scared and tense.

Now look at the original movie poster campaign. (below) Right away you know who the hero is and even though there are some terrible monsters about, the heavens are shining on him and you just know he's gonna make it through it all somehow. Heck, there's even a beautiful woman *gasp* that hints at perhaps a love story or human connection. It's not all about fighting and looking tough at all. There's a whole lot more going on. Poster artist Dan Gouzee did a hell of a job, but also note an equally amazing alternate poster by celebrated fantasy artists (the Hildebrandt brothers) which further enhances the fantasy genre! How amazing is THAT! Yeah!!

So ... whatever. I'm NOT looking forward to this movie as I had originally hoped for. I actually jumped up and down and clapped my hands at the thought of seeing this story reinterpreted.

Now I'm just covering my eyes and moaning. *sigh*

No comments: